Requesting a Computer From Us
Our computers are available to any visually impaired individual in the United States. This page will detail the steps necessary to request a computer, as well as the things that we will provide with the system.
Starting to use a computer as a blind individual is not a simple task, as you will need to learn the skills required to operate one. However, we believe that the freedom that it provides is worth the effort you put in. Look over the following list to see what we recommend doing first.
First, we recommend having a friend that will be available to help you. They can help put the equipment together and be a resource when you have questions. This person also will be a contact for us should you encounter problems with the computer.
You should also research the accessibility software available to you to get an understanding of what you will need to do to learn how to use the computer. We ship Microsoft's Windows 10 OS, and there are many programs available, free or paid. Below, you can find the list of accessibility software we provide when we build the machines.
Don't forget to plan ahead for where this computer will be set up in your home. Desktops will find a permanent home on a desk or table, while laptops can be mobile. We also recommend investing in a surge protector as these will protect your electronics from most power issues, short of a lightning strike.
Again, starting to use a computer for the first time is not going to be easy. Dr. Langford, our founder, who learned how to use a computer himself later in life gives this advice: "When you are blind, learning the computer is a lot of work. It takes real dedication. For those like me who put the effort and time into it, it is a tremendous miracle."
About the Computers
Because all the computers we ship are donated, there are some things that we want you to know about them:
- The condition of the computer varies. It may have some physical damage, but we ensure it doesn't affect the performance.
- We cannot test remaining life on laptop batteries. The battery will hold some charge, but we cannot guarantee how long it will stay powered when unplugged. If your battery won't charge, and the computer turns off when unplugged at any time during your warranty, we will replace it.
- When we fix the computers we may use some "generic" parts. We test all parts included, so they are guaranteed to work when we ship them.
- Our inventory depends on donations so we cannot predict what we have in stock. We may not be able to honor requests for specific models.
What You Will Get
Every computer we ship is guaranteed to have these specifications and software. Upgrades and additional software are available as well. Please review this list to understand what you are getting with the computer.Download more information in a PDF format
Base Desktop Config
Dual Core Processor @ 2GHz or higher
8GB of RAM
120GB Hard Drive
Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, DVD Drive
SSD or Bigger HDDs
Base Laptop Config
Intel Core i3 Processor or higher
8GB of RAM
Screen Size: 12-14"
RAM Upgrade (16GB)
External Monitors, Keyboards or Mice
Accessibility Software Included
Our computers ship with a Home Use license of JAWS screen reader OR ZoomText Magnifier, available through our partnership with Vispero. Details of this program are outlined below.
- The Home Use license is good for one (1) year, licensed through the Freedom Scientific portal with an email address you provide.
- This gives the user full access to JAWS OR ZoomText during that first year
- After the first year, the user is eligible to purchase the Home Annual Subscription from Freedom Scientific through the Software Portal.